Canker sores, also known as mouth ulcers, are reddish and painful lesions that occur in the mouth. They usually develop inside of lips, base of the gums, inside of the cheeks and back of the tongue. The lesions sometimes have a whitish surface. Although canker sores usually heal on their own after 1-2 weeks, there are some home remedies which can be followed to fasten healing. So if you are suffering from this condition, here are some of the canker sore remedies that you may try out.
How to get rid of a canker sore
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Applying dilute hydrogen peroxide solution is one of the most effective canker sore remedies. To make this solution, mix hydrogen peroxide and pure water in the ratio of 1:1 and then apply it over the canker sores by using a cotton swab. It may hurt for a couple of seconds, but will calm the pain.
- Aloe Vera: Preparing this remedy involves cutting aloe vera leaves longitudinally and extracting the sap. Ensure you don’t touch the yellow part. Apply this sap on the sores many times a day to fasten healing and get quick relief from the pain.
- Honey: Honey has been used to treat canker sores for many decades. Applying honey over the canker sores three times daily with a cotton swab can help combat pain.
- Saltwater Rinse: This is a very popular home remedy for treating canker sores. To make the solution, simply add 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and then stir the mixture till the salt dissolves. Now rinse the mouth with this solution many times daily. This will not only cure the sore, but prevent bacterial infection too.
- Salt and Baking Soda Rinse: To prepare this rinse, add half a teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Rinse the mouth with this solution 4 times a day to fasten recovery of the sores. Alternatively, you can apply sodium carbonate paste over the affected part.
- Milk of Magnesia: Another effective remedy for canker sores is milk of magnesia, which basically dilutes magnesium hydroxide solution. Take a cotton swab and use it to apply this solution over the affected part. Following this remedy 4 times a day will help in quick canker sore relief.
- Non Prescription Antihistamine: Antihistamine, also known as diphenhydramine, is over the counter liquid remedy for curing canker sores. If you want to treat canker sores on the mouth, mix milk of magnesia and diphenhydramine in the ratio of 1:1 and then rinse the mouth with this mixture 3 times a day. This will heal the sores within a couple of days.
These are some of the canker sore remedies you may want to consider. Consuming a well-balanced, healthy diet with high amounts of vitamin-rich foods, will help to fasten healing of the sores. To prevent recurrent canker sore outbreaks, you may include yogurt in your diet. If the condition persists for more than one week, then it is advisable to consult a qualified doctor for medical treatment.